Chalk Talk – Episode 56 – Women In Weights – Round Table Discussion
Feat. Molly Collins (FULL BIO), Emily Plucker (FULL BIO), and Jackie Wogan (MEET JACKIE VIDEO)
The typical high school weight room has predominantly been made up of male athletes and coaches. However, times are changing, and more women are entering into the world of strength and conditioning as athletes and coaches than ever before.
Molly Collins (PE Teacher, Sport Coach, Weights Teacher), Emily Plucker (Strength Coach), and Jackie Wogan (Director of Customer Success at PLT4M) have a round table discussion covering topics surrounding around women in weights – as coaches and athletes.
Come see how PLT4M can partner with your school!
- Jackie’s introduciton to the conversation. Women in the weight room and why we are having the conversation (1:00-2:00)
- Introduction to Emily Plucker (2:00-2:40)
- Introduction to Molly Collins (2:40 – 3:20)
- Should female students be working out together or seperately? Pros and Cons? Molly talks about a lot of female students not feeling comfortable in the PE setting and finding a solution to that. (3:20 – 7:30) (Check out her article on Women In Weights Here)
- Before and after school presents different challenges. Comfort was based on athletic ability, versus gender. (7:30 – 11:30)
- Why the presence of a female coach in the weight room goes such a long way. (11:30 – 13:30)
- Are male and female athletes training the same? (13:30 – 16:00)
- Getting people comfortable in the weight room and understanding what we are training for. Building people up and meeting students where they are at. Even when some of the girls want core and glute workouts and boys want to rush to bench (16:00 – 20:45)
- Motivating students to get into the weight room. Making it an inviting space and getting people interested. (20:45 – 24:40)
- Benefits of social media and how it can show people what they might be missing in the weight room (24:40 -27:30)
- Life of Female Strength Coach
- Getting connected with the sport coaches and others who can trust you (28:00 – 32:00)
- Not Yelling – Struggling with what kids interepret as the ‘energy’ in the weight room. Benefits of partnering with other coaches. (32:00 – 36:00)
- What people expect a coach in the weight room to LOOK like. (36:00 – 39:20)
- Being seen as a motherly figure…not being seen as the person who can help get someone bigger or stronger, but rather when they get hurt and want to come back and rehab. (39:20 – 45:20)
Here’s how to make sure you never miss an episode:
- Rate & review us to tell us what you’re loving and help us to reach more listeners.
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter to stay up to date on Chalk Talk updates. Use use #PLT4MChalkTalk to connect with us!
Have an idea or topic you would like us to cover? Feel free to send us along a suggestion!