Chalk Talk – Episode 54 – A Shared Vision of S+C feat. John Martin, CSCS
Come see how PLT4M can partner with your school!
“The football team was using the weight room, but not many others.” This common theme at the high school level is what John Martin inherited when he got to Queensbury High School in New York a few years ago.
Coach Martin, CSCS, set out to create a strength and conditioning program that all sports teams wanted to be involved with. Check out this great conversation about how a young coach is taking the route of education and humility when he looks to grow the program.
Part 1: Athletic Performance
- Athletics -John Martin’s background. NHSSCA Strength Coach Of The Year. Third Year at Queensbury. (1:00)
- Starting to build the program. What it first looked like and where Queensbury is looking to get going.Typically football, and not much else. (3:00)
- Saying ‘go to the weight room’ is not always enough. Coaches were huge supporters and letting other students see what exactly the strength and conditioning program was. How important team bonding could be. (6:30)
- Going from peice meal to providing consistency within the strength program. Setting up the schedule so everyone can get into the weight room. (9:00)
- The benefits of a shared vision between strength coach, sports coaches, and administrators (11:30)
- Helping athletes improve importance was the big message sent to kids (14:30)
- Check out Coach Martin on social: https://twitter.com/QBYCoachMartin (17:30)
Part 2: PE
- Where the program is going from the PE side of things. Challenges of block scheduling. (19:00)
- Showing students as much as we can in PE. Selling it with modesty and honest (22:00)
- What freshmen are getting at a very early level. Looking at a freshmen orientation program (23:20)
- Benefits of videos in the weight room. Being able to provide an added resource (25:00)
- Do you believe in something bigger than yourself? Having a bigger belief that you are helping a larger community. (27:45)
- Advice when things get tough. What happens when the BIG PLAN, does not actually go to plan. (29:00)
- Showing kids failing on social media. Give people the full picture. It does not always happen the way we want it. (32:00)
Here’s how to make sure you never miss an episode:
- Rate & review us to tell us what you’re loving and help us to reach more listeners.
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter to stay up to date on Chalk Talk updates. Use use #PLT4MChalkTalk to connect with us!
Have an idea or topic you would like us to cover? Feel free to send us along a suggestion!