Chalk Talk – Episode 1: Summer WorkoutsSummer is here, which means so are summer lifts! How do you organize summer lifts to keep them fun, fresh, and engaging for every athlete? Join Doug Curtin as he sits down with PLT4M’s Head of Performance, Coach Sam Breslin. Doug and Sam chat about starting up summer lifts, motivating athletes during the “dog days of summer”, and working through all of the challenges that come up along the way. Whether you are heading into your first summer program or are a grizzled vet, tune in for Coach Bres’ summer lift takeaways.
Part 1: Getting Summer Lifts Started
- Handling all the logistics of opening the weight room (1:00-5:34)
- What about Alumni coming back for the summer? (5:34-8:20)
- Different ways to think about a “summer schedule”. (8:20-12:40)
- Incorporating speed and agility during the summer: 12:40-15:13)
Part 2: Making Summer Training Competitive and Engaging
- Training Competitions and Getting Kids to Show Up: (16:00-20:10)
- Running a Summer Competition and kids get “points”: (20:10-24:20)
- Keeping things in Perspective #DogDays of Summer: (24:20-26:51)
Part 3: Managing Freshmen and Newcomers
- Laying the foundation: Making a Plan and Modifications: (27:45-30:50)
- Upperclassmen Leaders, Bringing Freshmen Into the Fold: (30:50-32:30)
- Thinking about the big picture, not just summer: (32:30-35:00)
Here’s how to make sure you never miss an episode:
- Rate & review us to tell us what you’re loving and help us to reach more listeners.
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter to stay up to date on Chalk Talk updates. Use use #PLT4MChalkTalk to connect with us!