Chalk Talk – Episode 49 – The “Squat” – What, Why & How?
Come see how PLT4M can partner with your school!
“The Squat” is probably one of the most talk about movements in strength and conditioning.
Some people immediately jump to thinking about the barbell back squat, but we break down all the variations and progressions that the squat has for your high school athletes!
- The Squat – What it is and why are you doing it? (1:45)
- A movement not just a heavy barbell back squat (3:30)
- Teaching The Squat – Starting with body weight (5:00)
- No such thing as a perfect squat (7:23)
- Starting with the feet (9:00)
- Ankle mobility (11:20) Knees can track over toes (13:20)
- TIP ALERT: Tear the paper (17:06)
- Problems are not exclusive to students just learning, issues will come back up. Help and correct. (19:05)
- Finally getting to depth – full range of motion and strength (24:25)
- Use variations of the squat (27:56)
- Building weight and starting to develop more skills (33:02)
- Air, goblet, back to front (37:50)
- Torso incline – hinging in the movement (40:27)
- There will always be faults – its not perfect! (44:26)
Here’s how to make sure you never miss an episode:
- Rate & review us to tell us what you’re loving and help us to reach more listeners.
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter to stay up to date on Chalk Talk updates. Use use #PLT4MChalkTalk to connect with us!
Have an idea or topic you would like us to cover? Feel free to send us along a suggestion!