“Discipline is the shortcut from where you are today to where you want to be in the future. Discipline is to study, learn, train, and apply a system of standards. Discipline compounds your talent & skill with effort & focus. “
Chalk Talk – Episode 44 – Standards vs ‘Buy-In’ feat. Brian Kight
PLT4M is proud to partner with Brian Kight. Come check out how you can partner with PLT4M in your pursuit of better!
Dysfunction is uncomfortable. Elite is uncomfortable. One leads you to nothing and the other leads you to the ultimate goal.
Brian Kight discusses the benefits of having standards instead of aimlessly hoping for ‘buy-in’.
- Intro to Brian Kight (00:00)
- Teacher and Coach Alignment (2:00) -“There is not a right and wrong way to do things. Who decides that?” (4:55)
- We Need Standards. Period. (7:00)
- Conflicting Ideas. I don’t agree, does not mean I dislike you. Or at least it shouldn’t. (10:05)
- When you draw lines, some people will be in, some will be out. You have to be okay with that (12:30)
- Complainers. Still a good person, but we don’t operate the same (16:00)
- Disfunction and Elite Are Uncomfortable – Which One Gives You Something? (21:00)
- Not a Decision Maker – Build Trust (24:30)
- How do we define ‘Buy-In’? (28:30)
- Language We Use: Pre-Existing Standard (34:26)
- Always Begging For Buy-In – And Player Lead (38:00)
- Introducing New Standards – Empathy vs Expectations (43:34)
- Things Are Difficult – What Is The Job? (46:10)
- Standards Past The Team – This Is Life (48:46)
Here’s how to make sure you never miss an episode:
- Find and subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcast, Spotify, and more!
- Rate & review us to tell us what you’re loving and help us to reach more listeners.
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter to stay up to date on Chalk Talk updates. Use use #PLT4MChalkTalk to connect with us!
Have an idea or topic you would like us to cover? Feel free to send us along a suggestion!