“Discipline is the shortcut from where you are today to where you want to be in the future. Discipline is to study, learn, train, and apply a system of standards. Discipline compounds your talent & skill with effort & focus. “
Chalk Talk – Episode 21 – Brian Kight – Commitment Through Leadership
Event + Response = Outcome or (E+R=O). How can we take this equation and think about the weight room and strength training for high school athletes?
On the go? Listen to the full recording of our interview below! You can listen however you get your podcasts!
Part 1: See It, Hear It, Feel It…But Wait, What is it?
- Introduction to Brian Kight, Founder of Daily Discipline (0:00-3:50)
- Execution Is The Intersection Between Culture and Strategy – What does that mean for the weight room? (3:50-8:30)
- Feel, See, Hear – 3 Senses To Experience People and Weight Room (8:30-15:34)
- Are You Seeing People Taking Responsibility For People Other Than Themselves (15:34-18:50)
- Getting Culture Into Social Stream (18:50-22:30)
- Recognize Standards, Ability To Act (22:30-26:30)
- Adults Struggle With Leadership: “If you are asking an athlete to do it, you should be pretty good at it.” (26:30-32:00)
Go check out Daily Discipline and subscribe to the daily email from Brian Kight (32:00-33:27)
Part 2: Structure Leads to Success
- We Thrive Inside Structure and Systems (33:27-36:30)
- E+R=O (Event + Response = Outcome) (36:30-43:06)
- Distractions Have Always Existed – ”Please point to me to the adult who has solved instant gratification in their life” (43:06-50:00)
- Young People Do Not Need Your Judgement – Stop Judging, Start Leading Them (50:00-52:53)
- RQ – Response Quality (Skill of Response and Speed With Which You Can Recognize and Act On It) (52:53-58:27)
- Make The Structure Within E+R=O – Don’t Get Caught Up On Internals – Put In The Work Either Way (58:27-1:03:48)
Here’s how to make sure you never miss an episode:
- Rate & review us to tell us what you’re loving and help us to reach more listeners.
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter to stay up to date on Chalk Talk updates. Use use #PLT4MChalkTalk to connect with us!
Have an idea or topic you would like us to cover? Feel free to send us along a suggestion!