Chalk Talk – Episode 58 – Flexible, Yet Structured feat. John VanDusen
Come see how PLT4M can partner with your school!
When we set up extremely rigid weight room schedules for high school athletes, we may be setting them up for failure. Kids have other sports, jobs, and life responsibilities that make getting to the weight room at an exact day and time challenging.
Coach John VanDusen talks about how high school athletes are thriving at Kingsford because of the balance PLT4M has given them between flexibility and structure.
- Meet John VanDusen -Experiences as coach and teacher (1:00)
- Lift starts at 6, everyone starts at same time! (VS.) Open gym times (6:00
- Weight room culture – having different waves of kids who are committed (11:00)
- Being deliberate with structure – programs and giving access to the right things (14:30)
- Kids are juggling so much – work schedules, other sports, life. Don’t set kids up for failure (16:00)
- How they do it at Kingsford (18:00)
- Teaching the young kids, watching videos and teaching along side (23:00)
- The benefit of flexibility with the PLT4M app – coaching kids not being a traffic cop (27:30)
- Building trust through team workouts (32:00)
- Making it fun – give them a reason to come (34:00)
Here’s how to make sure you never miss an episode:
- Rate & review us to tell us what you’re loving and help us to reach more listeners.
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter to stay up to date on Chalk Talk updates. Use use #PLT4MChalkTalk to connect with us!
Have an idea or topic you would like us to cover? Feel free to send us along a suggestion!