# 38 – Shape Standards feat. Brian and Brad Hull
For Brian and Brad, Physical Education is a family affair. The Hull brothers have embraced the Shape Standards in their classes and were both recently recognized with prestigious Teacher Of The Year Awards.
On this episode, we cover all of the Shape Standards and how the Hull brothers have applied them into their classrooms.
Part 1: Shape Standards Applied
- Introduction to Brian and Brad Hull – Identical Twins In PE (0:00 – 5:36)
- Preparing For Classes – Start With Relationships, Not Checking Boxes (5:36 – 9:40)
- Shape America’s Approach – Introducing Lifetime Activities (9:40 – 13:56)
- Shape Standards Are Objective And Concrete – Standard 3 – (13:56 -15:33)
- Standard 4 – Social and Emotional (15:33 – 18:46)
- Standard 1 – Physically Literate – As Many Units As Possible (18:46 – 22:45)
- Standard 5 – Process Is So Important – Open To Challenge(22:45 – 26:16)
Part 2: Relationships
- Challenges of Serving Students With Trauma (27:20 – 29:30)
- Students Can Turn To You – Prepared For Good and Bad Days (29:30 – 33:15)
- Overall – It All Comes Back To Excellent Relationships “Be Open To Student Feedback” (33:15 – 35:54)
Here’s how to make sure you never miss an episode:
- Rate & review us to tell us what you’re loving and help us to reach more listeners.
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter to stay up to date on Chalk Talk updates. Use use #PLT4MChalkTalk to connect with us!
Have an idea or topic you would like us to cover? Feel free to send us along a suggestion!
Meet Brian Hull
- B.A. in Human Performance and Sport (emphasis in K-12 Physical Education) from Metropolitan State University
- 2018 SHAPE Colorado High School Teacher of the Year
- 2020 SHAPE America Central District High School Teacher of the Year
- Currently in 6th year teaching at Bruce Randolph High School (Denver, CO); 8th year overall
- Presenter for Gopher Sport and Heart Tech Plus
- Passionate about integrating as much technology as possible in lessons
- Has an identical twin brother, Brad Hull, whom was the 2020 SHAPE America Central District Middle School Teacher of the Year
Meet Brad Hull
- B.A. in Human Performance and Sport; K-12 Physical Education Teaching Licensure; Metropolitan State University
- 2020 SHAPE America Central District Middle School Physical Education Teacher of the Year
- 2018 SHAPE Colorado Middle School Physical Education Teacher of the Year
- 10th year teaching overall; currently in 5th year teaching at Everitt Middle School in Colorado
- Helped his school receive a $100,000 DON’T QUIT! Fitness Center sponsored by National Foundation for Governors’ Fitness Councils
- Helped his school receive a Riding for Focus grant sponsored by The Specialized Foundation
- Passionate about implementing heart rate technology into daily lessons