Chalk Talk – Episode 25 – “In-Season” Forever? Developing Multi-Sport Athletes
Coaches are juggling high school athletes playing sports year-round. Does that mean they are in-season training all year? When will they get a chance to get any stronger?
Coach Bres joins Chalk Talk to help us clearly define the In-Season versus Off-Season training discussion. We get into the nitty gritty when we start to consider volume, intensity, and frequency of both sport and training!
Part 1: What Are Even Talking About Here?
- Being In-Season versus In-Season Training (1:15 – 3:50)
- Defining In-Season Training – For Experienced Athletes (3:50 – 6:20)
- Defining Off-Season – Higher Volume, Intensity, Frequency (6:20 – 8:30)
- Shift Our Outlook – Its Not In Versus Off, but Volume and Identity (8:30 – 11:05)
Part 2: Big Picture – What Makes Sense For Different Groups?
- Volume Is What We Need To Look at (11:40 – 14:00)
- It Is Okay To Play Sports, and Train Hard…When Appropriate (14:00 – 18:00)
- Developing Athletes Will See Gains..Look Big Picture (18:00 – 20:50)
- Using Coach Bres’ Example Of His Team ( 20:50 – 25:30)
- Look At The Physical Pie – Adapt and Balance (25:30 – 28:00)
- Do Not Force Your Demands – Play the Variables (28:00 – 31:20)
Here’s how to make sure you never miss an episode:
- Rate & review us to tell us what you’re loving and help us to reach more listeners.
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter to stay up to date on Chalk Talk updates. Use use #PLT4MChalkTalk to connect with us!
Have an idea or topic you would like us to cover? Feel free to send us along a suggestion!