CHALK TALK – EPISODE # 113 – Speed Training
Speed is more than just sprinting as fast as you can! Speed, especially within the context of athletics, is a multifaceted skill that needs to be developed and practiced.
We first break down the benefits of a comprehensive strength and conditioning program to speed development and then look at the things we can be doing on the field to help develop our speed training.
From there, we break down and define 5 key elements to speed training: 1) Technique 2) Acceleration & Power 3) Deceleration 4) Max Velocity 5) Change Of Direction. Check out this excellent discussion that comes at the same time as we approach summer workouts and PLT4M’s newly released speed training program.
- Speed – What Is It? (1:00)
- Past Just Max Velocity – Other Elements (3:00)
- Athletic Speed Vs. Linear Speed (5:00)
- Acceleration & Deceleration (6:00)
- Change Of Direction (8:00) Speed Endurance (10:30)
- Mechanics & Technique (12:00)
- Changing YOUR Speed – Improving The Individual (15:15)
- The Big Picture – What About The Weight Room? (18:00)
- When Do You Actually Do It? (20:00)
- Field Work – 20-30 Minutes (24:00)
- Five Elements of Speed Training (24:00)
- Technique (24:30) Acceleration & Power (25:30)
- Deceleration (28:00)
- Max Velocity (32:00)
- Change Of Direction (35:00)
- Training Speed – Divorced From Conditioning (39:00)
- Hit The Buckets (41:00)